Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Caramelized Walnut and Pear Salad

Made a salad and sandwiches last night. The salad was so good I could have rolled in it.




It kind of grossed me out to read breakfast recipes and then savory dinner recipes, but I couldn't refrain from sharing. This little concoction is based on a salad I ate at the Nordstrom Cafe. Oh, and I'm not usually a fan of fruit on my salad either, so even if you don't like it, the salad is worth a shot.



Caramelized Walnut and Pear Salad

Salad greens (I used spring mix)
1 C caramelized walnuts (I used pecans, recipe to follow)
1 C crumbled bleu cheese (I used gorgonzola)
2 pears, sliced
1/2 cup vinaigrette (recipe to follow)
Toss salad, walnuts, cheese and pears with the dressing.

Caramelized Walnuts
1/2 pound walnuts or pecans (about 2 cups)
1 egg white
1/3 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Mix walnuts, egg whites, and sugar together in bowl. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool, then break apart if necessary.


Vinaigrette

1 T chopped shallots
1 T Dijon mustard
2 T sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup of champagne wine or white wine vinegar (champagne is better, but white is fine)
1 1/2 cups of salad oil
3/4 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp pepper



Whisk all ingredients together. Makes 2 cups. I half the recipe and have dressing for salads for dinner for the family and a few days for lunch for me.

[from Raegan]

No comments:

Post a Comment