Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dinner Rolls

Here is my recipe for rolls. This is my favorite roll recipe I have tried:




Mix:
2 cups warm water

1/2 cup sugar

2 T yeast



Add:

1 cube melted butter (yes, that might be why this is so good)

2 tsp salt

2 eggs



Mix. Then add 6 cups of flour. Knead.



Raise to top of bowl (double original size). Shape. Put on cookie sheet. Then raise again.



Bake at 350 until golden brown (it seems to take about 20-30 minutes).



There are lots of ways to shape. Here is what I do. To shape, roll out to about a half inch thick and then I use a cup to cut it out in a circle. Then I fold it in half and cut the back side so it stays shut. I also put a little butter in the middle...another reason why it is good. But then you don't need to butter the rolls at all.



I have heard to not roll bread dough out more than twice. So roll, cut out, roll again, cut out. Then don't roll again. Take the left over dough and roll it into a snake (or hotdog) shape, then tie a knot.



You can put egg whites or melted butter on the rolls to help them brown better.



I give myself about 4 hours from start to finish to make rolls. You aren't making them that whole time, but that gives you plenty of time to let them raise. Raising is a big part of good bread.

[from Valerie]

No comments:

Post a Comment